Our laboratory science higher apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our research and development or manufacturing laboratories – the heartbeat of our company.
Achieve your career goals on our apprentice programme
You’ll receive tailored on-the-job training from our in-house experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress. You’ll be working towards a nationally recognised qualification- Studying for a Foundation
We also have opportunities for a Lab Scientist, In vivo Biologist at our Ware site.
Working with both your line and programme manager we want to identify the right opportunities to help you succeed in the short term and throughout your career with us. You will also be assigned a buddy or a mentor who will be there to offer support and guidance throughout your apprenticeship.
What will you do?
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory Science apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
• Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
• Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to
• Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
• Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
• Drug delivery
• Synthetic and analytical chemistry
• Data analysis and interpretation
• Report writing
You’ll be excited by the thought of developing your personal skills such as reasoning, communication,
What qualifications do I need? To be eligible for our Laboratory Science apprenticeship you will need:
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades 9-5 or A*-C, including
• To have achieved or be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
• An A Level grade C or above (or equivalent) in Chemistry or Biology depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
N.B. Chemistry A level is essential for the Maidenhead Lab apprenticeship.
Where will I be based?
You will be based at a site in either Barnard Castle, Ware, Stevenage or Maidenhead.
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a
When does the Apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2019.
• A competitive base salary
• An annual bonus
• Benefit programmes benchmarked against industry standards
• A recognition programme to reward exceptional work by you and your team
• A performance and development programme
• Training and Development (including opportunities to attend events such as the Outward
• A nationally recognised qualification
When you apply, you’ll be asked for your personal information and why you want to work for us. We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
Watch a video to get to grips with our recruitment process
Want to understand our whole recruitment process? Watch our video here
We’re 100% open to all talent
We’re 100% open to all talent – whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also, because it’s the right thing to do.
Next steps in our application process:
If you seem like a good fit based on your application form, we’ll invite you to complete our World of GSK online assessment. This will give us a better idea of your strengths and suitability for our apprentice programme. Please check your email daily to see if you’ve been chosen – and complete the World of GSK by the deadline given.
If you succeed in the World of GSK, you’ll progress to the GSK Life job simulation. Following this, we will be looking back over the whole of your application so far to decide whether you meet the specific requirements of the programme in the country you have applied to.
The final round is our Assessment Centre. We anticipate this will be in Feb-April.