About the role
National Grid is the sole owner and operator of the gas transmission infrastructure in Great Britain. It’s our task to ensure that gas is delivered to the end consumer whilst maintaining pressures in a safe and contractual limit.
As the Gas System
This unique position at the heart of the energy industry gives us the privilege of shaping the future development of the NTS.
Key Tasks and Areas of Work
Based at the Gas National Control Centre, whilst on the programme, you will be exposed to new activities and deliver new services and innovative products to the gas industry to ensure you finish the programme ready to take your role in Gas Operations.
You will learn about the National Transmission System (NTS) whilst getting involved in both long and short-term planning of the Network by:
- Undertaking training utilising bespoke software to enable you to be a network analyst
- Developing an understanding of the future energy requirements of the gas network
- Developing and delivering tools to help System Operator/Gas Operations capability requirements
- Shadowing experienced analysts and assisting with specific network analysis tasks
- Carrying out analysis to assist with investment decisions on the NTS
- Analysing networks to help deliver customer requests
Earn while you learn - Gain a bespoke Foundation Degree specific to Gas Transmission Engineering designed in collaboration with National Grid. This degree has over 30 courses from technically specific NTS courses to much wider engineering techniques such as electrical fitting and welding.
Site visits to all types of NTS connections all over the country and training at our brand new unique training AGI (the only one in Europe)
Opportunity to specialise in a vital, demanding and growing area