Audit Apprenticeship - Financial Services Audit
Our dedicated financial services group provides services to clients varying from large international financial institutions to AIM listed companies, new entrants and innovative challenger brands across the full spectrum of the financial services industry including.
• Banking and alternative finance
• Capital Markets
• Investment Management and Funds
Have the opportunity to witness the Financial Services boom right at the world’s financial hub London. You will have the front row seat in seeing how a variety of financial services businesses work across different locations, sizes, sectors and operational scales. You will have exposure to our international clientele and work with BDO offices across the world to learn about regulations and reporting standards across the world as well as working with a high number of AIM listed companies.
From the start of your trainee journey you will be at the heart of what we do – even as trainees, you will be expected to interact with the clients face-to-face and actively help to build relationship with key stakeholders.
Working in the Financial Services team involves travelling across different locations (whether for training or clients site) nationally and internationally.
In addition to attending college and working towards your professional qualifications, you will attend a number of technical training sessions internally and externally to ensure you have the necessary knowledge and skills, keeping up to date with ever changing regulations. Buddying up with more experienced colleagues will provide you with an extensive network of peers who will support you throughout college and day-to-day work.
In your second year, you will also have the opportunity to pass on your experience and knowledge to the new joiners and help to build and strengthen your personal and professional relationships.
The Financial Services team actively engages with CSR activities, BDO sports teams, and a number of internal networks such the U-Crew (Unifying Culture team), Black, Asian and Minority ethnic groups Society, LGBT Network BLEND and many more.
BDO offer the globally recognised Association of Chartered Accountants (ACA) qualification as a Level 7 apprenticeship programme, enabling individuals to become qualified chartered accountants and member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW). The ACA qualification and apprenticeship provides a broad range of accounting, finance and business skills. It opens a wealth of opportunities. The duration of this programme is 48 months.
Business Area Overview
• Be an important part of the audit team by obtaining audit evidence necessary to support opinions given
• Prepare analysis of accounting data from clients’ books and records
• Ensure audit files have all relevant documentation on the appropriate section; check appropriate and sufficient documentation obtained to support the opinion and documenting all conclusions
• Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
• Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the senior or manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
• Involvement in the planning, execution and finalisation of the audit assignment supporting the Audit Senior or Manager
• Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory) requirements
• Identify and understand client needs, including sometimes providing initial solutions to client challenges, then communicating these needs and solutions to the Audit Senior or Manager
• Build strong relationships with new and established clients
• Carry out ad hoc assignments as may be reasonably required by your group
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by your group
• Coaching and assisting more junior trainees on the team, both at client premises and in the office
• Participate in group, stream and firm wide activities
• Successfully study towards your professional qualification and, where relevant, corresponding apprenticeship
Candidates must have, or be on course for the following grades (or international equivalent):
•3 A Levels at grades A*- C, excluding General Studies and Extended Projects
•Grade 9-4 in English Language & Maths GCSE
We are looking for candidates who possess strengths that are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, Decision Making, Reasoned judgement, and Analytical skills.
BDO LLP is an accountancy and business advisory firm, we provide integrated advice and solutions to help businesses navigate a changing world. Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high growth businesses that fuel the economy.
We share our clients’ ambitions and their entrepreneurial mind-set. We have the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise to help them succeed.
BDO LLP operates in 17 locations across the UK, employing 5000 people offering tax, audit and assurance, and a range of advisory services. BDO LLP has revenues of £590m and is the UK member firm of the BDO International network. The BDO global network provides business advisory services in 162 countries, with 80,000 people working out of 1,500 offices worldwide. It has revenues of $9bn.
BDO gives trainees all the training they need to attain their professional qualifications, along with extensive practical experience that includes on-site client work. The firm provides constant support to help you achieve your potential.
'Achieving My Potential’ is BDO’s organisational framework. It is made up of 4 key elements – core competencies, technical competencies, values and attitude. In essence, what you do and how you do it.